Science and technology

Are we too reachable?

1
ElsaBlogger2017

I’m 10,000 feet up in the air and I’m informed that Wi-Fi is available on the plane. My reaction is a mixed one: at first, very impressed (although, I guess, being up in the sky we’re closer to the satellites, so theoretically the connection should be even stronger) but then disgusted. Are we so addicted to Wi-Fi? Is it so important to us to keep in constant contact with people that we wouldn’t be able to survive a two-hour flight without it?

I decide not to try out the Wi-Fi. Part of me enjoys having this time just for me, to reflect alone. Down on the ground it’s like being a doctor constantly on call. There’s no escaping it. And if you don’t reply to a text, you then receive a Snapchat ‘did you get my text?’ And even worse, now Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger show if you’ve seen the messages.

When did we become so needy? And how do I make it stop? I confess I am no different from everyone else. I too use multiple communication forms: texts, calls, emails, Skype, Facetime, Instagram, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Facebook and Twitter – you name it, I’ve got it. And to go through them all is exhausting: by the time I’ve checked them all, it’s more or less time to start again. And don’t even get me started on when you have a crush. You have your heart broken multiple times on multiple medias when he doesn’t reply. The effect is completely depressing and makes you want to delete the lot.

So do it. The most important person to communicate is with yourself. Have time just for you – it’s not selfish, it’s essential. I’m not saying lose contact with all your friends and family, just every once in a while turn off those notifications, put your phone on silent and do whatever you’re doing in peace.

Do you ever switch off your phone or turn off notifications? Do you agree with Elsa about how important personal time is?

pearla's picture
pearla 7 June, 2018 - 21:09

It is important to stay in contact with the family like keeping them in touch.
I totally agree with you that it is important to have a "me-time", away from others. Even the most extroverted person claims that!!