Sport

Do emojis and GIFs restrict our language and communication?

13
ElsaBlogger2017

Recently I read Nineteen Eighty-Four, a dystopian novel by George Orwell set in a totalitarian state where even the language they use is controlled. Adjectives are forbidden and instead they use phrases such as 'ungood', 'plus good' and 'double plus good' to express emotions. As I first read this I thought how impossible it would be in our society to have such vocabulary. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realised in its own way it's already happening. I type messages to my friends and alongside each is the obligatory emoji. I often use them to emphasise something, or to not seem too serious, or because this specific GIF conveys my emotions much better than I ever could using just words. And I wonder, with our excessive use of emojis, are we losing the beauty and diversity of our vocabulary?

English has the largest vocabulary in the world, with over one million words, but who's to say what it'll be like in the future? Perhaps we will have a shorter language, full of saying 'cry face' if something sad happens or using abbreviations like LOL (laugh out loud) or BRB (be right back) instead of saying the full phrase. So does this mean our vocab will shrink? Is it the start of an exciting new era? Will they look back on us in the future and say this is where it all began – the new language? Or is this a classic case of the older generations saying, 'Things weren't like that when I was younger. We didn't use emoticons to show our emotions'?

Yet when you look back over time, the power of image has always been there. Even in the prehistoric era they used imagery to communicate, and what's even more incredible is that we are able to analyse those drawings and understand the meaning of them thousands of years later. Pictures have the ability to transcend time and language. Images, be it cave paintings or emojis, allow us to convey a message that's not restrictive but rather universal. 

Is using emojis and GIFs a good thing for communication?

Sufia's picture
Sufia 15 April, 2019 - 08:21

GIF and short forms are good, useful for communication. But if some persons misuse these, it is fault of users and using emojis also can be a best way to ignore things..but some emojis are just useless .so users should know how and when they should use emojis and GIFs

1 user has voted.
G_G's picture
G_G 15 April, 2019 - 05:42

I think using emojis and GIFs isn't that bad. Though it is restricting our language and communication. By using these in our everyday life we are limiting our vocabulary. We aren't interested to learn more words and phrases, just by using them we want to express our thoughts. So, definitely it is restricting our language and communication but on the other hand it's also helping us to be more specific in expressing our thoughts and emotions. For example, if someone is making joke about something serious, by using emojis he is highlighting that its a joke, don't take it seriously. In conclusion it can be said emojis and GIFs have got both good and bad side. It depends on our use. Excessive use of anything is bad for us, emojis and GIFs aren't out of this list.

Loganjames's picture
Loganjames 15 April, 2019 - 05:16

I don't think that emojis and GIFs has restricted language. I think that emojis and GIFs help us express our feelings more clearly. Language is not our only means of communication. We communicate through paintings,music,etc.Sometimes paintings or pictures express our feelings better than letters. Sometimes we feel many emotions at a time, which we can't express through language. But we can express it easily through emojis or GIFs. Every language has gone through different phases through the change of time. Emojis and GIFs are latest addition to this change.If we adapt with the change, I think it will help us express our thoughts more distinctly.

1 user has voted.
Smm's picture
Smm 14 April, 2019 - 12:33

Well, I don't think that using emojis and GIFs is bad. We use this to express our feelings and thoughts. It saves our time. Sometime we find it difficult to express our feelings or any situation, that time we can use the suitable emoji to express our feelings.And I think emojis and GIFs make any conversation interesting and It's easy to ignore someone by using emoji. So from my point of view, the usage of emojis and GIFs is the best thing for communication.

1 user has voted.
Pheebs's picture
Pheebs 13 April, 2019 - 16:01

Well I think emojis are not too bad. As it help us to express our feelings more clearly than it does by the words. Undoubtedly we r pleased to express our feelings by using emojis instead of talking or texting. Though emojis are recently invented and within the little existence its became lovable to the people. But we cannot ignore the impact of language thats impossible. It’s just emojis made our life easier in the case of our feelings towards others. So this is it I think

Ovi's picture
Ovi 13 April, 2019 - 15:13

I think, the strongest saying is that in which one has become able to express everything which he wanted using short speeches. So, obviously emoji, GIF and short forms are good, useful for communication. But if some persons misuse these, it is fault of users, not of emojis and GIFs. Lastly, emojis help to express feeling properly with your writing.

1 user has voted.
Lucifer's picture
Lucifer 13 April, 2019 - 04:25

Yeah.......I think using emojis & gifs is a good thing for communication. It helps us to express our feeling's, thoughts and as well as our emotions. We can convey our emotions much better by using emojis & gifs. And I hope that we are not losing the beauty and diversity of our vocabulary by using the emojis excessively.
Besides emojis & gifs, we are using shorter language to express our thoughts easily. But it doesn't mean that our vocabulary will shrink. I think, it's just a start of an exciting new era. And in the future, they(the people of new era's) will have to look back on us. Because it will be their history of language. Words will change through time but meanings will remain the same. So I think using emojis & gifs is a great idea to convey our feeling's or thoughts quite comfortably. As it is saving our time, it can't be a bad thing for our communication.

1 user has voted.
bluestars's picture
bluestars 12 April, 2019 - 18:55

I think emoji is always beneficial because it saves our time.Moreover this makes the chat more lively.
By using Gif chat between two persons become more intimating.The replay Gif,the reaction Gif,cinemagraph,the technical Gif etc sometimes may spread explicit content.

Nowadays people think that they aren't just adding clarity but also specify their feelings.Teenagers are more comfortable using emoji and Gif than expressing their feelings in word.They remove boredom of reading texts.
But sometimes emoji shows that technically we are avoiding someone.
But young generation loves using these lovely emojis and Gifs to express their feelings deeply.........I love emojis and Gifs.

Felix's picture
Felix 12 April, 2019 - 15:41

Well, In my opinion emoji's and GIF's a great way to express our emotions. Actually emoji is a language which is expressed through a bunch of image or icons.Emojis are now the fastest growing form of communication and it helps people to build a successful relationship. If we can express something through emoji or GIF's it would be more interesting than writing. And it also saves our time. So, i think Emoji's and GIF's are very easy way to communicate nowadays.

Elina's picture
Elina 12 April, 2019 - 14:46

On my point of view I think it's good to use GIF and emoji for communication..because it's just take one emoji to describe your feelings.. It's a easy way . And people are also comfortable with it ..sometime its became difficult to describe some situations or some feelings..that time we can just use GIF for those.. And using emojis also can be a best way to ignore things..but some emojis are just useless ..those are not suitable..without those I think others GIF and emojis are suitable for us...

1 user has voted.
jonstark's picture
jonstark 12 April, 2019 - 06:12

Well...I think using emojis and GIf isn't that bad...It's been using just to emphasize our feelings and thougts easily which were difficult before...

Actually we love pictures and paintings more than reading or listening....But it was very difficult to draw and paint....Thats why we created languages...But expressing our vast feelings is quite boring and impossible only through vocabularies...So the only way is to use them together....Languages will change through time..but Expressions will never change...So I think using emojis and GIF is just helping us to use our languages more efficiently than before...It's also saving our time...perhaps....Everybody loves emojis...right?? :)