Science and technology

Is it acceptable to delete friends from Facebook?

81
IainG

This question is something that often seems to be talked about among friends. Most of my own friends think that there is nothing wrong with it, but others – including my mother – think deleting Facebook friends should be a capital offence.

I think the first real issue is whether or not our Facebook friends are our friends in real-life too. I know that many of mine are not: I never accept strangers onto my Facebook profile – or any other social network, for that matter. At the same time, though, I would not call many of my Facebook “friends” actual friends. I have many friends from school and university on Facebook, but I speak to very few of them. Many are people I have met only once, or are old colleagues. While I do know everybody, I really cannot claim that they are all my friends.

Every time I delete somebody from Facebook I think about how I would feel being deleted. I don’t have to imagine – I have been deleted by plenty of people. Before, whenever I realised that somebody had deleted me, I desperately searched to find out who it was. I’ve stopped doing that – I have learned that if I cannot work out who deleted me, they probably weren’t that important to me.

I remember when Facebook was still a new social network. Talking about deleting people was always done in hushed tones – it could not be spoken about openly, in case somebody overheard and was offended.

Now deleting “friends” is much more common, and often spoken about among friends (real-life ones, that is). People nowadays even announce on Facebook that they are about to delete a number of people. (This is, I think, to make you feel lucky if you are “saved”, but it often has the opposite effect).

At the end of the day, I think the answer to the question of deleting friends is quite simple. Friendships are not permanent. Very few relationships really are. Why, then, should Facebook “friendships” be permanent? I think we have to delete friends in order to reflect the realities of real-life relationships.

Deleting a few friends is acceptable, I think. There is one thing I do know, though: deleting your mother is not acceptable. I learned that one the hard way.

Do you delete friends from Facebook or other social media? Have you ever been deleted?

Mridha06's picture
Mridha06 10 April, 2019 - 05:58

I think We should delete some of our friends from facebook who are not our actual friend.However,we don't know their identity. They can harm us anytime. As they are not our real friend so there will be no sympathy for us in making our life complicated. So,it is better to stay away from them. Anyway,it is better to have one friend inspite of having many useless friends who don't care about you.

Shirleytatiana2009's picture
Shirleytatiana2009 25 March, 2015 - 01:03

Facebook is a social network where a lot of people in the world have it, which makes us ourselves have '' friends '' but we actually have unknown people if we are not careful we pass a bad move and something may happen bad as kidnapping, and what makes a bad reputation to this social network, which also serves as a means of communication.

valepabon413's picture
valepabon413 24 March, 2015 - 22:48

I think that we can delete people from Facebook because sometimes you don't know who is the person that you are accepting and a lot of people only see if they have friends in common and accept someone that they don't know. And websites were created to know people and to be more sociable. I believe that if you are going to deleted someone that you don't know he or she never is going to know.

luisaher03's picture
luisaher03 24 March, 2015 - 20:36

Facebook is good way to have contact with friends who are in other countries or cities but if you use this social network you should be too responsibility because many people can use your information for bad things. It is okay delete “friends” from Facebook, this can provide you security about the constant information you post on your profile.

Lauraquiroga's picture
Lauraquiroga 24 March, 2015 - 03:33

If you wanna use Facebook, you should be careful. You don’t have to accept people you don’t know and you don’t have to post too much personal information. Its okay post photos but decent photos. In the social networks there are many bad and dangerous people like kidnappers who use these sites for make damage. You always have to delete people unknown for you, it can be so safe for you and your family.

valero90's picture
valero90 24 March, 2015 - 02:03

I'm that kind of person that only speaks with close friends, so for me delete strange people is a normal thing , I believe that accept strange people is dangerous, because you have to be very carefuly with the information that you update.
I don't think that delete strange people will hurt his/her fellings, because you don't know or speak with her /him.

mairabothia's picture
mairabothia 24 March, 2015 - 01:55

I believe is necessary erase people of my account of Facebook. I believe that we are free to do what we like with our profile but in my opinion is necessary to check your contacts and see who your friends and your unknown. ¡be careful not to spare! Sometimes people create fake accounts to harm such as rape, kidnap... For that we must be careful no tro accept all ir even eliminate the unknown. In conclusion Facebook is not sure because all people can see what you doing unless that you have configurations you account as private.

natas10032000's picture
natas10032000 24 March, 2015 - 01:20

well, I think is important delete somebody from Facebook when that person is really insufferable, like a "stalker" but not only in your post, also in messages or tags that are really irrelevant. In the chase of our mother delete her would be "a crime" for the simple fact that she's our mom and she wants to know what we do with our friends, as we are with them or try to understand our language... I know that this sounds a little cheesy but it can be the truth and so it is important to know how to use this massive social network.

mvillanueva12's picture
mvillanueva12 24 March, 2015 - 01:19

many people use facebook for many things but some things not are good. when people use facebook they sometimes don't use it in a good way is necessary to delete some users have in your facebook and this people dont use social networks.In my case i have been deleted some friends on facebook when they get annoying. but i think that you should have only people that you met or your real friends.

alejandraortz's picture
alejandraortz 24 March, 2015 - 00:54

It is completely acceptable delete people from Facebook or others social networks, it isn’t a rude act if you have your reasons. Maybe that person has been too rude with you or you think that this person can be dangerous for your integrity. Not all your Facebook’s friends are true friends in your real life so no problem.

Julianasp1's picture
Julianasp1 24 March, 2015 - 00:42

Yeah, its acceptable delete people from Facebook if you don’t like what they has published, maybe that person publish rude and inappropriate commentaries in his post. You can delete a person if he harass you or told you something with bad words.

LeidyMora25's picture
LeidyMora25 24 March, 2015 - 00:40

Facebook can be a dangerous social network if you don’t use it appropriately. You don’t have to post photos unsuitable or rude content on your profile. You have to be responsibility about the people you accept in your Facebook; it’s not okay accepting unknown people for you.
You can make a wonderful site where you can chat with distance or old friends; you can publish photos about your vacation and your achievement, but always being prudent with the information.

Lizeth0626's picture
Lizeth0626 24 March, 2015 - 00:16

If you don’t have a relation with a Facebook’s friend or you’ve never meet him , you can delete him/her because is an unnecessary friend. You can delete a friend who has been really rude and grotesque with you in the real life or through Facebook and that act is not going to be rude.

DianaLizcano13's picture
DianaLizcano13 24 March, 2015 - 00:09

Many people create a fake life in Facebook, they believe that their Facebook’s friends are real but that isn’t true. Facebook is a fiction; maybe you can keep contact with your classmates or your distant friends. However, you will probably never meet these strange people. You need to delete people you don’t know because that people can be dangerous

lucar12's picture
lucar12 23 March, 2015 - 23:36

In my opinion facebook is good, helped me find with people that many years I didn't see,also it helped me delete 'friends' that did nuisance . I think that If we learn to use it well, there would be no need to erase friends;so this program should be used with very responsible and careful because not always all the persons are real, some people create facebook false to get kids fall in traps.
also we should to prevent any hacking. If you follow the instructions, you can use facebook quiet.

Vale_ntina's picture
Vale_ntina 23 March, 2015 - 23:32

I think that Facebook is a very good tool because you can communicate with your friends and you can do many things but you should be careful who your friends on Facebook because if you aren't friends you know in real life they can harm you.
My opinion about deleting friends in Facebook is that if you don't know the people and for some reason you accepted the friend request you should delete that person. For this reason is good delete friends in Facebook.

sfernandacamargo's picture
sfernandacamargo 23 March, 2015 - 23:21

Facebook can be positive or negative according to the use you have with this social network. Facebook is full of bad and good people. You always should have care with the information you post on your profile and who can see this. It is necessary delete people from Facebook, especially people strange because that people can make bad use about your information.

elacuartas's picture
elacuartas 23 March, 2015 - 23:00

I think is acceptable and it could be many reasons for us to want to delete some people.
Many people add anyone, just to have more friends. share your personal information and that could be very dangerous. I think we should just have our true friends in facebook to avoid problems.

camijacome16's picture
camijacome16 23 March, 2015 - 22:07

Facebook is a platform where we can communicate with our friends and family easily and effectively, we can interact in different applications that it offers us, but we must be very carefully when we see what the people we added in this platform and that we call our friends. we must not accept everyone, because it is not a good idea, just accept who we know to not have to worry about anything.
This is a platform that can be used to learn more of our friends and they from us, but carefully!

Daniso10's picture
Daniso10 23 March, 2015 - 16:48

In my opinion, deleted friends is neccessary when someone isn't your real-life friend, and it won´t be an offence because if he/she isn't you friend, he/she won't care for being delated.
Sometimes, we delate people who is our friends, so, if we do this, we have to explain him/her why we delated him/her, because he/she our real-life friend and it can be an offence to him/her.
I also think that before accept someone of facebook we have to think if he/she a real friend o we know that person, we don't have to accept stranger people because they can make you bad things or we simplely don´t know them and if we have people in facebook that we don´t know it doesn´t matter that we delate them.

LeipzigR's picture
LeipzigR 23 March, 2015 - 16:30

I think the same thing, we only should have those who actually are our friends and known people, and yes, sometimes it is necessary to delete persons with which we never speak, we never know if they can manage to be an enemy in your life. We must delete persons whenever we prune to avoid disadvantages.

camivera22's picture
camivera22 22 March, 2015 - 17:57

I believe the same as you, i just delete friends, when is necessary, but when i do that, i always think how the person will be, i think everyone, has feelings, and hurt one is cruel, so, if you delete someone, he or she will always knows, but not the cause, so you have to tell them, and remember we are not machines, we are people.

Marialucia10c's picture
Marialucia10c 24 March, 2015 - 02:06

To use Facebook you should be too responsibly respect the information you post and the people you accept, you always have to be careful in the social networks are bad people who always are looking for make damage for more vulnerable people.

valena's picture
valena 24 March, 2015 - 01:06

Facebook is good if you use it the good way, you don’t have to publish inappropriate information about you, your family and friends, it’s too important accept only people you know because some people create a fake profile to deceive innocent people.

GuisellMayorga's picture
GuisellMayorga 23 March, 2015 - 23:45

I think the same as you, I think that now is very common to delete friends from Facebook, and I think friends should not be virtual, I prefer spending time with them, Facebook also is a medium that helps us to stay in touch with them, and if we delete any friend of Facebook we must know the reason and that they know this reason because it can hurt their feelings.

Silviajuliana12's picture
Silviajuliana12 22 March, 2015 - 15:09

Facebook is a wonderful platform because you can write and talk with your friends Without matter if they have in other country, every time you can see photos, chats and more but you must be careful whit the stranger people, don't give out your personal information it is dangerous.

Is better if you have only friends in your profile because your are free of public your favorite photos or you favorite places, you can decided Who is on your friends list And you can remove the person you want, when someone is arrogant or makes you put sad, Facebook is good when you use it with responsibility and not all the time!!! You must be controlled your time for your study, your family and your personal things.

Ericca's picture
Ericca 9 November, 2014 - 11:30

When things have turned sour and spun out of my control, I generally do delete some friends in facebook. I dont have the time nor the patience to hold on to everyone. I have never been deleted, because I only maintain contact with a few selected people.

danna1605's picture
danna1605 7 November, 2014 - 18:41

In my personal opinion, friends are not virtual and must see in person so if one deletes a facebook friend no matter it is not an offence against the person.

mariapaula1's picture
mariapaula1 7 November, 2014 - 18:26

I have facebook and I like that I can talk to my friendsfacebook is good because I do infromarme works and what happens and I can have fun talking with my friends, and I meet people from other sides of the world.I do not agree to delete facebook friends that I at least a little talk with them or not please me.

laurajardilae's picture
laurajardilae 7 November, 2014 - 18:26

I think is acceptable and it could be many reasons for us to want to delete some people. For example, there's a lot of people posting things I don't really care and I know there's people that don't really like being deleted so I'm not used to delete them, instead of "delete" them I prefer "unfollow" them, that's the way I stop looking what they are posting everyday and they don't even realise about it, what people actually care is just being "friends".

saraialeja's picture
saraialeja 7 November, 2014 - 18:25

in my opinion delete facebook friends should not affect anyone since it is not an insult because if that person is not a friend in real life does not have to affect you that do not know this person.

KatherinePinzon's picture
KatherinePinzon 7 November, 2014 - 18:23

I've deleted many friends on Facebook, I don't really think that that's something bad, I mean, there's too many people who get offended when they realize that you had deleted them, ¡They take it too personal!.
If you don't talk with someone Why you should keep them add? It doesn't have sense. I don't have idea if someone had deleted me, I don't mind it, they had they reasons, Doesn't they?
For me, is ok if they do and is ok if they don't. Don't really care.

nalzate's picture
nalzate 7 November, 2014 - 18:23

I think it is rude to delete facebook friends, many times I do it because I do not like publications that are either very intense sending invitations that you do not care, and I think it is no use having a supposed friend with facebook usually one that never talks.

Nathalia1403's picture
Nathalia1403 7 November, 2014 - 18:22

I think that if is it acceptable to delete friends of facebook because often we have unknow people that in the real life they are not our friends but they are people who we have met on the street or friends of friends. I think this good to eliminate because to have them there if we will never talk to them?.

julianab's picture
julianab 7 November, 2014 - 18:22

I don´t have facebook, so I believe that we need to delete person because we need onli a known person and don´t stranger persons.

danielac's picture
danielac 7 November, 2014 - 18:20

I absolutely agree, Facebook is just a social media, if I don´t want to see someone´s posts, why do I have to? It's easier just to delete people either if they are close friends or not. They do not have to feel offended, I wouldn't mind if someone deletes me, either if I know them or not, I´m not losing a real-life friend. The friends that really matter are the real-lige friends.

Aleja16's picture
Aleja16 7 November, 2014 - 18:20

In my country, Facebook is so popular and all my friends have an account but we agree that we have Facebook Friends are our friends in real life. I deleted people that i never talk to and it is not wrong to do it because it is not a offence. I dont use this network , I prefer to talk with others with cellphone or I visited them

bow's picture
bow 7 November, 2014 - 18:18

Deleting friends from facebook is a acceptable because it's not real life. I often delete friends that I don't know- I've been deleted couple of times too. I didn't feel bad because I have never spoken to persons who deleted me

silviak_10's picture
silviak_10 7 November, 2014 - 18:18

It is real, I have Facebook and I have been deleating since I created that because the friends are better in the real life than in the web. And there is people who don´t publish interesting things. Somebody has deleated me, but I think that it is a normal thing, it is acceptable. I think that it isn´t offensive.

acarreno1's picture
acarreno1 7 November, 2014 - 18:17

yes, I have been deleted and I didn't care when I found out.
I have deleted friends from Facebook and I don't see something wrong with that, because i think that those persons simply don´t care my profile and my life or maybe that person in the real life made my something bad.
Facebook isn't the real life, so I think deleting some "friends" on Facebook is acceptable.

camipacheco's picture
camipacheco 7 November, 2014 - 18:16

Yes, I have Facebook. I have been deleted often, for the people. People that sometimes I do not even know then is not given by me to him importance. I also have done it and it does not seem to me to be offensive. Then it is a thing of every whom, we are free to have the friends who seem to us.

camimendez's picture
camimendez 7 November, 2014 - 18:15

In my opinion it is neither good nor bad delete "friends" on Facebook.
Young people are very quick to go to something known to someone and say how is your facebook? We add that in order not to lose contact, but one does not return to speak with them, so after a time why not delete them?.
If a person has a hundred or more friends of facebook by there is a lot of talk with twenty or thirty but no more, then to have them if many times and we do not know who they are and we don't remember.

camilapico's picture
camilapico 7 November, 2014 - 18:14

I delete friends from Facebook often and I don't see something wrong with that.
Since i deleted my Facebook account I haven't worried if people delete me or not, I have never realized if people delete me. I never take importance. What really matters to me are the real friends that I have in real life.

julianad420's picture
julianad420 7 November, 2014 - 18:14

i think that delete friends is something normal but not everybody, delete friends it´s nowadays considered an act of immaturity because a lot of immaturity people delete friends for stupid fights but if you delete somebody because you don´t know is so normal

viviana21's picture
viviana21 7 November, 2014 - 18:14

I think that when they delete a friends on facebook do not have to say in public that the person you are eliminating may feel offended.
I think it's because of the popularity, but that's not a good idea because at the end of the day do not know who is welcoming to my life.

valerosado1's picture
valerosado1 7 November, 2014 - 18:13

I think deleting friends on facebook sometimes is necessary, I do not think this is something rude or that may be insulting , I think it's better to have a real and close relationships with someone in real life.

arguello's picture
arguello 7 November, 2014 - 18:12

most of those we call friends, we met once a lot or friend requests are accepted because you have friends in common but they are not friends in real life. I personally am not of those who accept someone who does not know, but many who are in this list of friends, should be eliminated.

10Acamiamaya's picture
10Acamiamaya 7 November, 2014 - 18:12

I believe that to erase people of my account of facebook are not anything bad or to burden, since maybe me and left of speaking with a person, or I had problems, or maybe already do not want to have it, I believe that we are free to do what we like with our profile always and when we do not damage to the persons, though at certain part it is good to look at whom you have in your account of facebook, if really you know them and they are your friends, so for this motive many people to been stolen or hurts have caused him on having used false accounts in facebook and to accept them, which is a very serious mistake, my serious recommendation to erase all those persons that you do not know and not to accept strange people because he can be bad for you. Finally facebook is not sure since everything I publish this one though you should have your account privately because nothing of flock of there.

nathalied's picture
nathalied 7 November, 2014 - 18:11

I do not have facebook but I think we should not accept strangers and if we do, and we see that the account profile is outdated is because maybe it is not used so it would be best to remove