Is photography an art?

12
EllaO

I like to think of myself as a creative person with a head buzzing full of imagination, ideas and flashing light bulbs. One of my favourite pasttimes is photography; having arrived in France on my year abroad all alone, it became a fantastic way to explore new places and even better that I didn't need to depend on anyone else to come with me. To say my camera has been put to good use is quite the understatement, and apart from the sheer size of it, I wouldn't change it for the world. As we continue to live in this tech-savvy digital age, I've started to question whether photography is an art and this is where my debate starts. 

Yes, you can achieve almost any photograph with the vast array of settings that digital cameras have to offer and yes, they generally tend to be of a higher quality. But, what happens to the photographs after they are taken? In my experience, they are either stored on the computer and the minority are printed, uploaded onto social media websites for my friends to see or added to  photography websites to receive some feedback or they are instantly deleted and never seen again. Ask yourself, when was the last time you had a batch of photos printed or made a scrapbook by hand? 

Sometimes I think life would be much easier with a film camera. Call me old-fashioned but there really is an art to using this type of camera. Whereas digital cameras can hold thousands of pictures, films can only hold around 30, so you really do have to be selective and think carefully about the composition before snapping. With apps such as Instagram, all you have to do is add a filter and you're a photographer - what would be a dull picture of a coffee mug, suddenly becomes trendy. I'd be the first to put my hands up and say I have an Instagram account, but I just think that these apps take away the art of photography and individuality.  

Do you take a lot of photos? What do you do with your photos? 

hadia 24 December, 2016 - 08:18

We (me and my friends) are planning a trip and I'm gonna make sure that we take a lot of photos ;)))

honey123's picture
honey123 1 December, 2015 - 07:33

I don't take much photos but whenever I do, I keep them in my phone (obviously the good ones) and look through them when I'm alone or don't hav anything to do.

I like to take photos but not a lot! Usually I take photos whenever I visit somewhere of historic importance or somewhere very beautiful having natural essence in it or when I go somewhere with my friends I don't like to take photos all the time! it's very awkward!

CoolPink's picture
CoolPink 9 October, 2015 - 19:16

Hahahhahahaahah you're realy interesting child. I like taking photos too. I with my comrades constantly right selfie who later mess on Facebook, Instagram, snapchat etc .... Do you have a profile on one of these social networks?

hadia 10 October, 2015 - 12:19

Hi CoolPink!
Thanks for reading my comment! It's good to listen that you like photography too :)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 9 October, 2015 - 20:12

Hi CoolPink, 
Please note that you can not ask other users their personal information like their names on social networks. Please read our House rules
Thanks and best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

Artiking23's picture
Artiking23 11 March, 2015 - 11:00

Yes, I do a lot of photos as I semi photographer. I love taking pictures of nature, especially in the summer. Your photos I post on various competitions. Some even win

PinkyPay's picture
PinkyPay 24 November, 2014 - 18:12

-Yes, I do like to take a lot of photos. I think that camera allows to freeze some special moments and keeps people from oblivion. With camera in my hands I'm able to represent the world how I see with my eyes.
-Mostly, I save my photos on my computer, because I'm afraid of publicity.

Ahlem's picture
Ahlem 20 October, 2014 - 18:18

Yes, I do take many photos cause I love doing that especially with my friends. There is an amusement.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 16 October, 2014 - 09:57

Hi Monisa, 
The Magazine section on Teens is written by a group of young people from the UK. They are currently working as Language Assistants (helping in English departments in schools) in many different countries around the world. This year we do have a few bloggers from France, but there are some in other countries too and all the bloggers are British students. 
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)