Science and technology

The selfie experience

5
JoEditor

Wherever you are in the world there is one word which can be found in any language, no matter what country you are in, and has increasingly become very popular; that word is selfie. Over the past year selfies have become a global obsession with very important political leaders such as Barrack Obama, David Cameron and Helle Thorning-Schmidt taking a selfie together to famous celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep and Brad Pitt coming together in Ellen Degeneres’ selfie to create the most 'A-List' selfie possible. Now we can buy a ‘selfie stick’ so that we can take the photo from the best possible angle and get as many people as we can into the photo.

I live and work in Barcelona and, like any cosmopolitan European city, it has a mixture of people from all over the world, whether residents or tourists, and this means it has its fair share of ‘selfie-takers’! Day to day I see many different selfies and have witnessed different ‘types’ of selfies. Therefore, here is a list of different types of selfies: 

5. The ‘this-is-my-thousandth-selfie-of-the-day’ selfie
A truly dedicated ‘selfie-taker’ who takes so many selfies every day that they have a practised facial expression for nearly every social situation.

4. The ‘embarrassing parent’ selfie
In this selfie the parents manage to persuade their children to take a family selfie, often thinking they are very hip and modern in doing so, whilst the children try to keep smiling!

3. The over-enthusiastic selfie
Often taken in mundane moments this selfie makes any situation look fun.

2. The ‘sly selfie’
Often taken in public spaces this selfie is a big achievement.

1. The ‘selfie stick’ selfie
This signifies true dedication as the owner is so determined to ensure the best selfie possible that they buy a gadget to help themselves (although perhaps it looks slightly strange in public).

Topics: 

What do you think about selfies? Do you think it is a fun way to enjoy and remember experiences or do you think it distracts people from enjoying things in the moment?

SemaSou's picture
SemaSou 13 February, 2015 - 10:05

I can't see any distraction in taking selfies from the enjoyement of the moment as it would only take you two or three minutes at most and on the other hand it would allow you to memorize that moment forever by a simple click and in a funny way ... I always enjoy getting back to the old selfies and recalling all the sweet moments related to them .. there's always some funny face to make you laugh ...

hadia 30 November, 2014 - 11:32

i also like taking selfies especially when i'm out with my friends or family on vacation or special place ................its a good way of saving memories of good days i really like taking sefies

adorable1407's picture
adorable1407 16 November, 2014 - 18:22

I think selfies are taking just for fun! :) People want to have some cool pictures from holidays, places they visit or different events. Honestly, I took some 'selfies' with my new friends from holidays and everytime I look at it i can't stop smiling! :)

jasminemeer's picture
jasminemeer 15 November, 2014 - 11:28

I think selfies are not good,nor bad.But these are very interesting and good for those ,having no friends or living alone having no relative or family near,they can reduce the feeling of loneliness by sharing there feelings with there own selves by taking selfies.I think in this way they can reduce the feeling loneliness and by increasing excitement about what they look like in different moods...........

gimmethefood's picture
gimmethefood 13 November, 2014 - 17:57

I think that selfie is just for fun.I don't think it's bad at all,and It makes people laugh,and we deffinitly need more of that in these rough times. :)
But I am also anoyyed by people who like to take SELFIES every single second of their life,I mean LIVE A LITTLE!