Sport

The Football World Cup

17
EleanorC

Wherever you live in the world, you have probably noticed that the Football World Cup 2014 is taking place in Brazil at the moment.

I personally don’t watch football and don’t support a particular team. However, I have got into the spirit of the World Cup by watching matches with friends and seeing the excitement of football fans.

I was in Italy for the beginning of the World Cup. People were very enthusiastic for the first match, when Italy won against England. Lots of flags were hung out on balconies and people drove around the streets honking their car horns. Then Italy’s team lost against Uruguay and Costa Rica and was knocked out of the competition. The same thing happened to England, who was also eliminated in the first round.

Instead, I started supporting France and watched the match with some friends in a big square in the centre of Berlin. Everyone celebrated when France scored the winning goals against Nigeria. The same night, I also saw the match between Germany and Algeria. Luckily Germany won, so in the capital city everyone was cheering and smiling.

The next rounds of the World Cup will be very interesting as more teams get eliminated. I wonder who will end up in the final!

Are you watching the World Cup 2014? Who are you supporting? 

IamYegane's picture
IamYegane 24 July, 2018 - 15:09

I watched world cup this year and 4 years ago...
4 years ago and this year, i was supporting Germany! They were really fantastic 4 years ago ( specially against Brazil!!! lol 7-1) ... but this year they weren't like what they were!
But they're Germany and they'll come back stronger!!!!
I love Manuel Neuer! He's the best goalkeeper in the world!

1 user has voted.
Aom's picture
Aom 19 November, 2015 - 16:02

I have never watched a football match at the stadium, it was really fun, especially when one team has a chance to make the target or they make it all on the field and shouting encouragement.

kimnguyenVAS's picture
kimnguyenVAS 1 September, 2015 - 13:15

I support Brazil and Argentina. When Brazil was lose Germany (Brazil 1-7 Germany), I was surprised because I never think that Brazil can be like that. Neymar Junior was the last player for Brazil that I can trust but he can't do anything. And in the final, Messi are great but the Germany still better. So,they took the cup for their country. But, I always believe that Argentina or Brazil can bring the cup back to their country.

adilou's picture
adilou 25 March, 2015 - 08:11

Iam algerian I love algeria I like BRAHIMI Iam very happy to the algeria and halilouzitch is a good entrainer

toxicvenom2000's picture
toxicvenom2000 18 November, 2014 - 17:38

I watched the 2014 world cup and I supported England even if its not very good -
Comment from an English boy, please no one hate me!

Harabeli Supersweet 18 August, 2014 - 14:29

I watched the World Cup and I really enjoyed it. I was supporting Germany and I felt really happy when they won the cup. Before the final match I even painted German flag on my face. The most exciting match to me was Germany-Brasil. I loved it!

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 6 August, 2014 - 13:17

Well, World Cup is finished, but I will write something. For me and our nation this year is something special. We, little country called Bosnia and Herzegovina- we were on World Cup for the first time..
We were in group F with Argentina, Nigeria and Iran. We lost two games ( Argentina 2 : 1 Bosnia and Herzegovina) Our defender Sead Koalašinac( who plays for Schalke) tragically scored goal.. And it was 1:0..
Some sport analisis wrote that we were better, but Lionel Messi scored fantastic goal!! .. After that Vedad Ibišević scored for 2:1.. And Vedad Ibišević is first Bosnian who scored on World Cup.
After that game every person said : ''Bosnia will beat Nigeria and Iran'' but.. we lost against Nigeria.
In that game Edin Džeko scored but referee didn't admit goal, and than Nigeria scored.. We lost that game.. And everything was finished for us.. Also, we played against Iran and we showed that we know how to play and that we are strong team and we won that game. It was great experience..

topnik's picture
topnik 9 July, 2014 - 22:51

I think that Germany will be the new world champion!My favourite player in Germany is Mesut Ozil.Germany fascinate me in every aspect of the game.My country Croatia lost in the group...

olybos's picture
olybos 8 July, 2014 - 14:09

I love football because i am a boy.I am from greece.I support my country and i was very happy when we continue to the best 16 teams.When we won cote divore i was very proud of my country.I thought that we can continue and won the cup.I was really disappointed when we lost from costa rika in the penalties because grrece was better than costa rika.Now i support the team of argentina and i want this team to won the cup.

LanaM's picture
LanaM 7 July, 2014 - 17:45

I am from Brazil, and I can say this month has been crazy here. I also don't like football but the energy is infectuos. Noone support Brasil, come on! Let's go Brazil

Lavender 6 July, 2014 - 11:12

No, I'm not. Here I live in a dormitory and we don't have a TV in our room. If I want to watch a game, I have to go to a cafe, there is a big screen there with a lot of students (most of them are boys). The atmosphere was great but unfortunately the games are so late in my country, the earliest is at 11 PM and the next is at 3 AM. So it is not easy for the one who is not into football like me to get out of my bed. However I often read the news in the morning to keep up with what's going on. I hope Argentina will be the champion this year.